Friday 2 January 2009

It's a new dawn, a new day, a new life...

When I woke up yesterday I had the strangest feeling of not having a clue where I was. It took me a good minute or so to realise that I was next to the most beautiful woman in the world. That kind of shock it not easy to get over and is something that still amazes me on a daily basis. I couldn't believe that after all the hard work, the stress, the tears, the risks it came down to the simple pleasure of watching another human sleep.


There was to be, however, little chance for reflection on New Years Day. We had rather an important task before us - we were going round to Estoril to the in-laws for me to be welcomed to Portugal and also for us to break the news to them that some scruffy, unemployed Manc was trying to marry their wonderful daughter.

I love S's parents so much, they're so friendly and generous and they really look after us. I was a little nervous about telling them about the engagement but I had no real reason to be, S has assured me enough times that the really like me and have accepted me into the family and this was perfectly illustrated when the news was broken to them. They took the news totally in their stride, as if it was the most natural thing in the world and they were totally expecting it, we spent barely a couple of minutes on congratulations before we moved onto lunch.

Lunch, as always when S's mum cooks, was a delicious affair. Tender roast lamb cooked with rosemary and garlic, punched potatoes, and cauliflower and sprout gratin all covered in one of the tasiest gravies I have ever had. There was more than enough and my place kept being refilled, as did my glass. It really amused me when I first went to S's parents for a meal and we would all have wine and S would be given juice by her parents but now I know why, you have to be able to really handle your drink during these big lunches.

After the main course there was a selection of lovely desert's, fresh fruit, dried figs stuffed with walnuts, tarts and a lovely christmas cake that S's mum had made and which was a rememberance of their time in England. During desert I had to endure the initiation rites into the family which seems to consist of having your groin mauled by a psychotic cat, all whilst maintaining a straight face and continuing the conversation. I love the family cat, she's so beautiful but she just has this habit of attaching herself to me when I'm at the dinner table.

We left with our bellies full and pleased that they'd taken it so well. It was a lovely drive home along the Marginal, seing the waves crash on the beach in the darkness and this was my first glance at the sea since I arrived and it had never really occurred to me as something I would miss but it brought back a lot of memories for me.

Returning to the flat we just had a relaxed evening in. After such a large lunch it was just soup for dinner and then we watched an excellent film - Lilya-4-Ever - very moving.

1 comment:

  1. Ahoy There Matey!

    Happy Birthday and Congratulations on the engagement thing!

    ReplyDelete