Saturday 3 January 2009

Survival of the sales part 1...

Typical! I manage to go for months through the driving rain, the burning cold, the whipping wind of Manchester and I finally get to Portugal and I catch a cold. To be fair though all those people who expressed jelousy at my change in cilmate really should visit here in the winter. Never before have I experienced such poor forward planning for winter, most windows are single glazed, there's no central heating anywhere and the houses are designed to let the blistering summer heat out which in winter creates the strange phenomena of it being warmer outside than inside. I have to wear a jumper all the time indoors now.

My cold could also have something to do with the sheer number of people I was around yesterday and the miriad of germs they were carrying. We decided to brave the sales and I know S was missing her retail therephy (I don't think I've met anyone as well dressed as S, in an understated way). I was very poor but in desperate need of at least one more pair of pants and some shoes so we headed to Colombo, a huge city centre shopping centre next to the Benfica football ground.

One thing Portugal is not short of is shopping malls. The Portuguese are mad about these palaces of consumerism and I've even had C raving about ones such as the Vasco da Gama centre (with waterfalls over the glass ceiling - which just look like they're being washed constantly). To me they're all the same, the same shops just in more or less confusing arrangements.

There are just about two clothes shops in Portugal I would shop in (for some reason the Portuguese H & M is rubbish) and that's Pull & Bear and Springfield. One of my long running comments on the Portuguese is that they dress in such a conservative fashion. Walking down the streets you do get the impression that their mother's choose their clothes, sometimes this is true in people up to their mid 30s. Added to that all the clothes look brand new, there's not a scuff mark, stain or rip (with one exception today!) in anyone's clothes which often gives the impression of either being in a film or a Daz advert. I've had a little think about this and can only assume that Portugal being so poor for so long has issues with apparent poverty. I will always remember a comment made by a Portuguese friend regarding my favourite pair of converse which had been lovingly tended to a state of near collapse and it was remarked that I could wear them to park cars (a common job for the homeless is finding parking spaces). I've had numerous conversations with Portuguese friends about this and it's just a cultural different that's difficult to understand.

So I'm left with these two shops, neither of which are great but which do have some good lines. I don't buy a lot of clothes, that should be emphasised at this point but I do have set ideas on what I like and back in the UK this usually led me to vintage or charity shops or shall independant shops, with the occassional visit to Topman, H & M or Primark for essentials. Now the charity/vintage shops here are practically non existance. Their lack is merely emphasised by the fact the the one or two that do exist will no doubt be pointed out to me. The same is true for the independant shops but these seem to consist of 'boutiques' in Bairro Alto that charge €40 for a t-shirt. There's just no equivalent to Pop or its ilk, or if there is then please please point me in its direction.

Saying this though I was rather pleased with my purchases. I got a pair of gray cord trousers and some smart(ish) trainers which will be perfect for work. It wasn't too painful and they were under €40 for the lot. I spent a long time having a shirt pushed on me by S but in the end I declined, I fancied being a bit more colourful but there was nothing that caught my eye.

Happy with my clothes purchases we decided to do a bit of food shopping as there is a massive Continente supermarket there but as it turns out we didn't end up buying much. We were disappointed with the quality of the meat and most of the other stuff on our list can be bought either cheaper or of better quality from our local supermarket - Pingo Doce.

By the time we got home I was starting to feel a bit ill and very tired. Ashamedly I fell asleep through the film - Last Year In Marienbad - much to S's amusement as it's her who is normally guilty of that. I woke up today feeling a little horrible but I'm medicated up and prepared to face the sales downtown now!

2 comments:

  1. First I never raved about Vasco da Gama, I said it was pretty as Shopping Malls go. In fact it is my least favourite of any of them because it is missing any good book or music shops, Bertrand and Worten don't count as any of those.

    Second, people dress well in Portugal because you as a person are seen as representing a number of things. It is a very small country, so you are likely to be representing your family "Did you see so and so's son today? Is he a drug addict?" or your company etc. The few people who buck the conservative trend were usually brought up in quite liberal environments and rarely have office jobs. The same is true of many other countries i.e. Japan, France, Germany, Spain etc. etc. The UK is actually the exception rather than the rule. If you go to the right places at the right times you will see less conservative dressers, downtown, Chiado, Bairro Alto and that whole area, particularly areas near Arts faculties.

    You are right about the lack of thrift shops in Portugal they are almost non existing. Second hand clothes are usually given to charities which redistribute them or to the church. Again most people would not want to be seen wearing second-hand clothing so the market is scarce. Silly, but true. Again your best bet would be downtown, Chiado, Bairro Alto and the old neighbourhoods around the cathedral and Alfama.

    The vintage is proper vintage and not thrift, hence the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.humana-portugal.org/TextPage.asp?MenuItemID=50&SubMenuItemID=139

    http://www.humana-portugal.org/TextPage.asp?MenuItemID=50&SubMenuItemID=140

    http://www.humana-portugal.org/TextPage.asp?MenuItemID=50&SubMenuItemID=148

    (Two of these are like 5 minutes from yours)

    www.trendsecondhand.wordpress.com

    http://emauscaminhoevida.blogs.sapo.pt/ (If Sarah wants to go on an adventure to Caneças, I'm game)

    http://www.teloos.com.pt/company/mandrake-com%e9rc._de_modas_unip._lda./702200291248.htm

    http://carbono.com.pt/index.php?pid=2 (records)

    I think I had more, but this freaking thing seized up and I had to look up all the links again!

    Report back!

    (Vanda)

    ReplyDelete